Membrane is a material with a selective separation function. The process of using the selective separation of the membrane to realize the separation, purification and concentration of different components of the feed liquid is called membrane separation. According to different materials, it can be divided into organic membrane and inorganic membrane. According to the pore size of the membrane, it can be divided into Microfiltration Membrane, Ultrafiltration Membrane, Nanofiltration Membrane and Reverse Osmosis Membrane.
Because membrane technology combines the functions of separation, concentration, purification and refining, as well as the characteristics of high efficiency, energy saving, and environmental protection, it has been widely used in the production of the food industry. Main applications include dairy products, soy products, fruit and vegetable juices, brewing industry, sugar industry, purification and concentration of enzyme preparations, concentration of egg whites, separation and concentration of food additives such as natural colors and spices, etc.
Compared with traditional processes, Membrane Filtration technology has advantages in food & beverage industry applications
1. No chemical reagents and additives are used, and the product is not contaminated.
2. Carried out in a closed system, the separated food has no pigment decomposition and browning reaction.
3. Strong adaptability, wide range of use, can be used for separation, concentration, purification, clarification and other process.
4. Good selectivity, material separation can be carried out at the molecular level, with excellent performance that ordinary filter materials cannot replace.
5. It is carried out at room temperature with minimal loss of nutrients, which is particularly suitable for the separation, classification, concentration and enrichment of heat-sensitive substances such as fruit juice and enzymes.
6. The treatment scale can be large or small, continuous or intermittent, and the membrane modules can be used alone or in combination. The process is simple, user-friendly control, and it is easy to realize automatic operation.
7. There is no phase change, so the loss of volatile components such as aromatic substances is less, and the original fragrance can be maintained. Compared with the separation method with phase change and other separation methods, the energy consumption is low. When separating water, the cost is about half of evaporation concentration or freezing concentration
The application of membrane filtration technology in the food & beverage industry is increasingly widespread. Food produced by membrane technology has obvious advantages. Membrane filtration technology has now become one of the most economical, social benefits high technology.