Electroplating is a process of using electrolysis to attach a layer of metal film to the surface of metal or other materials to prevent metal oxidation, improve wear resistance, electrical conductivity, reflectivity, corrosion resistance and enhance aesthetics. Because the cleanliness of the electroplating solution will affect the quality of the electroplating products, a plastic filter system will be installed to filter the electroplating solution during the electroplating process, thereby improving the quality of the electroplating products.
1. Why Does the Electroplating Liquid Need to be Filtered?
Various impurities will inevitably be generated and accumulated during the use of the electroplating solution. When these impurities exceed the usage standards, it will shorten the service life of the electroplating solution, reduce the quality of the electroplating products, or damage the electroplating products and cause scrapping. Therefore, in order to improve the quality of electroplating products and reduce production costs, a filtration system will be installed to maintain the cleanliness of the electroplating solution.
1) Extend the Service Life of the Electroplating Liquid
Electroplating is an autocatalytic reduction process. The fine particles in the electroplating solution will react with the main salt metal ions in the electroplating solution, consuming the metal ions in the electroplating solution, resulting in the electroplating solution quickly losing its function and being scrapped. Therefore, in order to prolong the service life of the electroplating solution, a plastic filtration system is generally installed to remove impurities in the electroplating solution.
2) Improve the Quality of the Coating
Solid particles in the electroplating solution will adhere to the surface of the coating, resulting in rework or even scrapped workpieces, such as reducing the brightness and leveling of the coating, causing the coating to lose light, slow light emission, poor leveling, pinholes and pitting, which reduce the corrosion resistance, etc. Therefore, a filtration system is generally installed to keep the plating solution highly clean, so as to reduce rework, improve quality and reduce overall costs.
2. How to Choose a Suitable Plastic Filtration System for Electroplating Industry?
In the electroplating solution filtration process, the filter system generally selects a bag or cartridge filter system according to the type of electroplating solution and filtration requirements. The equipment of bag filter system usually chooses plastic bag filter housing, and the filter consumable generally choose filter bag. The equipment of cartridge filter system usually choose plastic cartridge filter housing, and the filter consumable generally use string wound filters, melt blown filters or activated carbon filters.
When the particles of inorganic pollutants in the electroplating solution are large and the concentration is high, a plastic bag filtration system consisting of a plastic bag filter housing and filter bag can be selected. According to the actual flow capacity and filtration accuracy requirement at site, you could choose Size #1, Size #2, Size #4, Size #5 or Size #6 plastic bag filter housing and the same size of Filter Bag.
When the concentration of inorganic pollutants in the electroplating solution is high, a cartridge filter system consisting of a cartridge filter housing and String Wound Filter Cartridge can be selected. If high filtration accuracy of the electroplating solution is required, the string wound filter can be replaced by Melt Blown Filter Cartridge. Typically 10", 20", 30" and 40" filter housing with filter cartridge are available.
If you want to filter organic pollutants or chlorine in the electroplating solution, the equipment of the filtration system can choose cartridge filter housing, and the consumables generally use Activated Carbon Filter Cartridge or Carbon Impregnated Cellulose Filter Cartridge. When designing a filtration system, the appropriate filter housing and filter cartridge are generally selected in 10", 20", 30", 40" specifications according to the flow requirements of the site.
3. What are the Precautions for Electroplating Filtration?
1) When the value of the pressure gauge is close to the red line mark or the value of the flow meter fails to meet the requirements for use, it should be replaced in time, otherwise the working efficiency of the system will be reduced due to the failure of the flow to meet the requirements;
2) During the operation of the filtration system, regularly check whether there is liquid leakage at the connection of the filter exhaust valve, drain valve, flange, pipeline, etc. If there is, it should be repaired or replaced in time, otherwise, the working efficiency of the filtration system will be reduced;
3) When the filtration system starts to use, the pressure gauge should be observed. If the value of the pressure gauge does not reach the initial pressure value, the system should be shut down in time, and check whether the filter cartridge/filter bag is installed correctly and whether there is leakage at each connection of the system.